• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • Please note that LegalBeagles is a public forum and the main areas are accessible to all, and as such, please take care your username or posts do not identify you. There is no need to post claim numbers, names or precise amounts to get support with your case. When uploading documents please ensure that you have properly redacted your personal details. Thank you.

DISCONTINUED ** Claim under torts to recover compensation for loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DISCONTINUED ** Claim under torts to recover compensation for loss

    Hi Everybody, it's not ideal for one reason or another it rambled on and got to the stage where a defense for a claim under torts to recover compensation for loss and consequential damages is needed by Monday, this is a bit of a long shot at short notice i know but it must be better to submit something and lose than let them win by default, any help would be appreciated

    Tags: None

  • #2
    N24 from court

    Comment


    • #3
      in respect of what company, more details please

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
        in respect of what company, more details please
        Hi mike, this was the 1st threat followed by another 4 followed by solicitors letter then by court claim.

        crs00012.pdf

        Comment


        • #5
          CRS ? blimey unusual for them to go to court.

          What happened when you received the claim ? Did you acknowledge it or submit a defence at all ? Sounds like you have been ordered to amend the defence you did enter so had you maybe just put a note on the acknowledgement ?

          I'll get some links for you and the defence points, but can you do a bit of a summary of what exactly happened at Poundland ( did you try shoplifting 70 items btw ? lol ) Was it a security guard stopped you leaving the premises, did they get the goods back in saleable condition, were the police involved at all etc ?
          So have you read the 'Oxford Judgment' ? If not do so, http://legalbeagles.info/wp-content/...edJudgment.pdf and appeal transcript http://legalbeagles.info/wp-content/...sB09052012.pdf



          So the entire claim is for £70 for the goods, and £197.36 for unspecified ' case costs'.

          Have they given any breakdown of these 'case costs' in their letters etc at all ? Was that their entire particulars of claim ? Only you mention " Claim under torts to recover compensation for loss and consequential damages" but that isn't stated in their particulars at all, only in their first letters?

          The Defence ( and you'll want to do a part 18 request as well but too late to do that before your defence is due in ) will need to ask what those costs are.

          Also.... is the Claimant CRS or Poundland ? CRS can't sue you in their own right. So who is the Claimant, and who are the 'Solicitors' ?
          I'm away till the 24th August - please contact @Kati if needed

          “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

          Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

          If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

          Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Were you an employee of Poundland ?

            If so, then what happened regarding your employment ?
            I'm away till the 24th August - please contact @Kati if needed

            “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

            Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

            If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

            Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Were you an employee of Poundland ?

              If so, then what happened regarding your employment ?
              Yes an employee, he was caught at the self service till by the stores cctv, he was 16 at the time of the incident, manager and store security took him into the office, no police called, not asked to repay anything no parents called, told him to resign immediately or be sacked, goods not recovered, the claim for £70 must be over the course of his employment (6 months ) told him to expect a letter in the post, they drove him home after because he was in such a distressed state, by the time crs started to write he was 17, about 5 letters in total from crs, no breakdown just the same threat if he did not pay, Aug 2017 court claim for arrives, all deadlines followed and the defense was that he is under 18, took until jan 2018 got a letter from the court stating case was stayed, now april 2018 and he is now 18 a new order arrives ( see 1st post) Yes claimant is poundland, thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Would you be able to post a copy of your defence, I presume that the Claimant has asked the court to strike it out as it doesn't comply with CPR 16.

                Was it a case of putting the odd thing through the self service till without scanning ? Was he on duty at the time?

                Thank you xxx
                I'm away till the 24th August - please contact @Kati if needed

                “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

                Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

                If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

                Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Would you be able to post a copy of your defence, I presume that the Claimant has asked the court to strike it out as it doesn't comply with CPR 16.

                  Was it a case of putting the odd thing through the self service till without scanning ? Was he on duty at the time?

                  Thank you xxx
                  Thanks for your help,

                  Yes exactly that, it is suspected that a colleague grassed him up, if that was the case they clearly would not have been watching him do it for for 6 months, so i think they have inflated the £70 loss, it is after all a pound shop

                  Yes on duty at the time
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have read the Oxford judgment but for a layman to pick out and digest the parts that i need to help put a defense is not easy, not to mention trying to get to grips on how you present the information on the defense form, if it is such a clear case that they can not claim for a loss that has not occurred because they already paid staff to do that just that then surely there has to be, ( for want of a better word ) a template with the appropriate text, i have searched all over the internet and all the posts I've seen say that all the threats you get from these companies is bluster, they never make a court claim because they no they can't win, so in my very simple mind there have to be a very simple defense for this type of claim, i would appreciate any help, i don't want them to win by default, many thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Judge has concluded that the case is suitable for mediation, is this a good route to go down? no date included for a hearing so i assume they wait for the 7 days to pass to see if both parties agree,
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Amethyst Celestine ??
                        Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of.

                        It doesn't matter where your journey begins, so long as you begin it...

                        recte agens confido

                        ~~~~~

                        Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

                        I can be emailed if you need my help loading pictures/documents to your thread. My email address is kati@legalbeaglesgroup.com
                        But please include a link to your thread so I know who you are.

                        Specialist advice can be sought via our sister site JustBeagle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dave top View Post
                          I have read the Oxford judgment but for a layman to pick out and digest the parts that i need to help put a defense is not easy, not to mention trying to get to grips on how you present the information on the defense form, if it is such a clear case that they can not claim for a loss that has not occurred because they already paid staff to do that just that then surely there has to be, ( for want of a better word ) a template with the appropriate text, i have searched all over the internet and all the posts I've seen say that all the threats you get from these companies is bluster, they never make a court claim because they no they can't win, so in my very simple mind there have to be a very simple defense for this type of claim, i would appreciate any help, i don't want them to win by default, many thanks
                          The other threads relate to where the goods have been recovered by the store, in the instance it is all bluster and they do just go away hence the statement of shock by Amethyst in post #5.

                          The Oxford case is relevant as they can't claim for the cost of the security guard being there or the security detection equipment used as it was determined in that case that those things are part of running the store and costs the claimant would incur regardless of whether a theft occurred or not as you say.

                          In regard the cost of the unrecovered goods then they obviously have a claim here as they have suffered a loss of the value of those goods and they should be compensated for those.

                          You say your son resigned, so did they make any deduction from his final wage for those losses? If they did they have already recovered what they adjudged to be their losses and cannot claim for them again.

                          Originally posted by dave top View Post
                          Judge has concluded that the case is suitable for mediation, is this a good route to go down? no date included for a hearing so i assume they wait for the 7 days to pass to see if both parties agree,
                          Mediation is good as it shows that you are trying to settle the claim without need of a hearing.

                          I think the main points to make with the mediator are the points I have raised about the oxford case and then if they haven't recovered their loses yet make an offer to repay those. Make no offer to repay their legal fees as had they been reasonably pursuing recovery of their losses and not inflated sums they are not entitled to be compensated foe the matter would never had reached the stage its at now.

                          My worry for you if this goes to trial is that your defence is not going to stand up against this claim now your son is over the age of 18. I think if this is not settled at mediation you need to apply to the court to amend the defence and file a proper one based on the oxford case.

                          Did you send a part 18 request to question the costs? If not you should do that ASAP. If you did send another on asking how they have calculated the value of the lost goods or if you haven't add that to the question about the cost when sending it.

                          I'm actually surprised they haven't applied to strike out the defence and have summary judgement entered against your son... I would have.
                          HOW TO COMPLETE AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) FORM?

                          My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

                          I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

                            The other threads relate to where the goods have been recovered by the store, in the instance it is all bluster and they do just go away hence the statement of shock by Amethyst in post #5.

                            The Oxford case is relevant as they can't claim for the cost of the security guard being there or the security detection equipment used as it was determined in that case that those things are part of running the store and costs the claimant would incur regardless of whether a theft occurred or not as you say.

                            In regard the cost of the unrecovered goods then they obviously have a claim here as they have suffered a loss of the value of those goods and they should be compensated for those.

                            You say your son resigned, so did they make any deduction from his final wage for those losses? If they did they have already recovered what they adjudged to be their losses and cannot claim for them again.



                            Mediation is good as it shows that you are trying to settle the claim without need of a hearing.

                            I think the main points to make with the mediator are the points I have raised about the oxford case and then if they haven't recovered their loses yet make an offer to repay those. Make no offer to repay their legal fees as had they been reasonably pursuing recovery of their losses and not inflated sums they are not entitled to be compensated foe the matter would never had reached the stage its at now.

                            My worry for you if this goes to trial is that your defence is not going to stand up against this claim now your son is over the age of 18. I think if this is not settled at mediation you need to apply to the court to amend the defence and file a proper one based on the oxford case.

                            Did you send a part 18 request to question the costs? If not you should do that ASAP. If you did send another on asking how they have calculated the value of the lost goods or if you haven't add that to the question about the cost when sending it.

                            I'm actually surprised they haven't applied to strike out the defence and have summary judgement entered against your son... I would have.

                            Thank you that's very helpful.

                            Basically the store staff interrogated him in the office, at the time he was 16 and they did not call a parent or guardian, he resigned because they told him to,so there was no real opportunity for him to dispute the amount they said they lost, at the time he would of done anything they said really, no police called, nothing signed. they had an opportunity to deduct any money they considered they had lost because he got a final salary after the 1st letter from crs,

                            I did submit another defense and the letter in post 11 is the result of that.

                            We have a hearing date now, beginning of July, can i still send a part 18 request? who do i send it to if i can

                            Many thanks

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dave top View Post


                              Thank you that's very helpful.

                              Basically the store staff interrogated him in the office, at the time he was 16 and they did not call a parent or guardian, he resigned because they told him to,so there was no real opportunity for him to dispute the amount they said they lost, at the time he would of done anything they said really, no police called, nothing signed. they had an opportunity to deduct any money they considered they had lost because he got a final salary after the 1st letter from crs,

                              I did submit another defense and the letter in post 11 is the result of that.

                              We have a hearing date now, beginning of July, can i still send a part 18 request? who do i send it to if i can

                              Many thanks
                              Yes you can, you send it to the solicitors.

                              Part 18 allows you to ask questions and you should also serve a copy to the court with a certificate of service. This way if they refuse or ignore the Part 18 then you can bring it up in the hearing.

                              It would be useful to see the other defence as your son will need to file a Witness Statement 14 days prior to the hearing and serve it on the claimant.

                              If you want to speak on his behalf you will need to submit a letter to the court from him stating that he wishes you to speak on his behalf under the Rights of Audience regulations otherwise it'll be him whom has to do all the talking in court.
                              HOW TO COMPLETE AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) FORM?

                              My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

                              I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

                              Comment

                              View our Terms and Conditions

                              LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                              If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.


                              If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Loading...

                              upgrade to vip

                              Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

                              only £15/yr

                              Offers available. No subscription traps.

                              sign up now



                              Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                              Find a Law Firm


                              Working...
                              X