• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

theft at work/sacked /now called by police for voluntary interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: theft at work/sacked /now called by police for voluntary interview

Hi,

just to update you on my case.i had a hearing today at magistrate court.

i have been given 60 hours community work in 6 months and £130 fine to cover the cost.

just wanted to ask you about my criminal conviction ..how long would it stay and how long do i have to disclose it to employers if i am to apply for a job..

i would really appreciate your guidance.

Comment

For a community order the conviction will become spent 1 year after the end of the order.
      When"spent" convictions do not need to be disclosed, but they may show on a standard or enhanced DBS check.

Comment

As Des says, 1 year after the order is over

This might help http://hub.unlock.org.uk/wp-content/...ock-A5-8pp.pdf

Now sorry to be a party pooper but you will need to tell various people such as insurance ( car and home) who may or may not refuse to cover you or hike the premium

For contents insurance home protect is a broker who covers people with convictions but the price might be higher - for example , one case I was aware of, a bank quoted £10 a month but home protect quoted approx double that for similar cover.

Just make sure you pay the costs order and complete the community payback as required

If you are working they may give you work on 1 day a week so it will be over in 10 weeks or less

I'm glad the uncertainty is over for you

Did the magistrates make a confiscation order or an order to repay anything you took?

Comment

the magistrate was very sympathetic towards my circumstances and did not formalise anything to pay back to my ex employer.He said its between me and the employer but i am not forcing it on you knowing your financial situation.

I read it somewhere that if its a first ever conviction then it probably does not appear on the DBS checks..is that true?

if i finish my community work in 3 months,would it reduce the length of the order from 6 months to 3 months ..or would it still be 6 months plus 1 year.

and thank you guys once again..your piece of advice has been very helpful..appreciate that.

Comment

also, do i need to contact my car insurer and let him know or wait till my renewal.

I am going to set up the direct debit to ensure that the payment is made on time without any failure.

there were no confiscation orders as well.

Comment

Sadly a conviction is a conviction and will certainly appear on an enhanced DBS check but once spent it shouldn't appear on a regular DBS check- or at least thats what I think
              https://www.ucheck.co.uk/do-dbs-checks-show-cautions/

No promises that the facts are accurate

Comment

thank you very much for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by unsure View Post

if i finish my community work in 3 months,would it reduce the length of the order from 6 months to 3 months ..or would it still be 6 months plus 1 year.
                  Sorry, but finishing the work early does not reduce the period of the order which remains at 6 months.

Check your policy wording, but IMO it would be exceptional if you have to advise your insurer of non motoring convictions PRIOR to renewal

Comment

Hello Guys,

As you are aware of my case history,that i went to the court and was given community work.I have just come across an other issue and would like to request for your guidance.The police charged me with £655 and that's the amount which my previous employer reported to the police.

But now i have got a letter from the RLP(Retail Loss Prevention) saying that the amount was £2200 and i should contact them to repay the amount.

Can anyone pls let me know what should i do with this letter and how serious it is. Why possibly have they not claimed the money of £2200 at first place and only reported £655.

Comment

Hi there
                      We had a similar case to this last year, where I think the retailer, via RLP, took the matter to the wire before withdrawing.
                      I'll see if I can find the thread in our revamped site, but meanwhile tagging Amethyst who I think guided the poster.

Comment

Thank You,i really appreciate your help.

Comment

I haven't yet found that old thread, but continue looking.
                          in the meantime i would ignore that letter, it is only the opening shot.
                          As you said, you were charged with stealing £655, found guilty and no order was made for repayment.

That does leave open the possibility of civil recovery, but only for a quantifiable and provable amount.
                          did you ever admit to a specific amount?
                          have you made any offer to repay the £655?

Could you post up RLP's letter (first removing address etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            I haven't yet found that old thread, but continue looking.
                            in the meantime i would ignore that letter, it is only the opening shot.
                            As you said, you were charged with stealing £655, found guilty and no order was made for repayment.

That does leave open the possibility of civil recovery, but only for a quantifiable and provable amount.
                            did you ever admit to a specific amount?
                            have you made any offer to repay the £655?

Could you post up RLP's letter (first removing address etc)?
                            Thank you for your reply.

the very first day when i went to police station,the police office doing my interview,mentioned that i had admitted £2000 in the interview with my Line Manager at work,but the company has only reported £655.I told him that i was under so much stress that i just accepted whatever they said to me.

But i was only charged with £655 and this is the amount which was taken to the court and i was sentenced on.

The court did not order me to repay £655 to my employer.however they said that i should contact them and offer the repayments of the amount which was £655, but i am not bound to do so.

would you suggest,if i should call RLP and tell them about the court orders etc .Because i think the case is already closed in the court.

Comment

Originally posted by unsure View Post

Thank you for your reply.

the very first day when i went to police station,the police office doing my interview,mentioned that i had admitted £2000 in the interview with my Line Manager at work,but the company has only reported £655.I told him that i was under so much stress that i just accepted whatever they said to me.

But i was only charged with £655 and this is the amount which was taken to the court and i was sentenced on.

The court did not order me to repay £655 to my employer.however they said that i should contact them and offer the repayments of the amount which was £655, but i am not bound to do so.

would you suggest,if i should call RLP and tell them about the court orders etc .Because i think the case is already closed in the court.
                              If you wish to repay the £655 to your ex employer do so direct to them offer a monthly payment you can afford writing to them direct with the offer ignore RLP they can do nothing except send letters.
                              Now this Court case is sorted hope you can get on with your life you admitted your mistake and paid the price

Comment

Basically I would go along with Wales01online and if you wish to and can afford to, offer a repayment schedule of the £655 to your ex employer directly

RLP are upto their outrageous inflationary tricks,
                                Under stress you admitted to £2000 theft, but your employer could only prove £655 and yet RLP want £2200!

If they were ever to persuade your ex employer to initiate county court action against you they would need to prove this higher figure.
                                They couldn't justify it for the magistrates court so how can they now?

I would ignore unless you receive a letter headed "letter before Action", at which point return here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X