• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

theft at work/sacked /now called by police for voluntary interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theft at work/sacked /now called by police for voluntary interview

Hi,

I very regretfully want to state that i got caught tampering with the tills and stealing money worth £2000.I was under immense mental pressure due to fathers critical health and needed money urgently.I knew i was being watched by cctv but due to that pressure i could not help myself.

i got caught,investigated and dismissed as expected.Now after few months i have been contacted by the police for a voluntary interview.

Can someone please help me understand my current position as i am really scared.I cant afford to disclose it to my freinds or family or i wont be able to show my face to no one.
    Tags: None

Re: theft at work/sacked /now called by police for voluntary interview

It does seem a little odd that you have been called in after such a long time. Were the police not involved at all at the time of your dismissal ? Have you been repaying the money to the employer at all in the meantime? ( would they have needed to report it for insurance purposes [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] ? )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi.

Without sight of the employer's fidelity cover it isn't possible to be sure, but I would expect a minimum excess of £2500 even for a small outfit. If this is a large concern the excess will be correspondingly higher. So IMO unlikely to be instigated by insurers.

When you go for your interview remember you are not under arrest and can leave at anytime, unless arrested.
      However the interview will take place under caution

You are entitled to legal representation so do take a solicitor, who will arrange date and time of the interview to suit you.
      If you cannot afford your own solicitor, request the duty solicitor be present as you are effectively going into a formal police interview without knowing the exact allegations. That legal representation is important.

Comment

They had called the police that day but it took them so long to arrive .I was suspended and sent home.Later on i was invited for the final hearing and was dismissed.I explained them how i was not in real state of mind and i am ready to repay the money.

They sacked me and then their was silence for good 3/4 months and now all of sudden this police issue has started.The officer called me and said

(You are not under arrest,and will be free to go,We ll record your interview and then assess the situation and will inform you about the decision later on,He offered me a solicitor which i agreed to have on that day)

All i want to request to all of you to kindly advise me on,

what should i do ?

what possibly can happen ?

How should i prepare myself for this situation.?

I will be really grateful for your piece of advice.I am really stressed out

Comment

They had called the police that day but it took them so long to arrive .I was suspended and sent home.Later on i was invited for the final hearing and was dismissed.I explained them how i was not in real state of mind and i am ready to repay the money.

They sacked me and then their was silence for good 3/4 months and now all of sudden this police issue has started.The officer called me and said

(You are not under arrest,and will be free to go,We ll record your interview and then assess the situation and will inform you about the decision later on,He offered me a solicitor which i agreed to have on that day)

All i want to request to all of you to kindly advise me on,

what should i do ?

what possibly can happen ?

How should i prepare myself for this situation.?

I will be really grateful for your piece of advice.I am really stressed out

Comment

Be guided by your solicitor.
            If you intend to use the duty solicitor you need to speak to him prior to the interview.
            However you would be better served by employing your own solicitor, possibly with legal aid.

Get evidence of your father's condition, together with supporting statements from your doctor about the s tress you were under and how that could have influenced your judgement and behaviour.
            Have you actually started to repay the money to your ex employer?

It is impossible to say what will happen.
            The worse case scenario will be a court hearing, and it could land up in crown court.
            Stealing from your employer, especially on a number of occasions over a period, aggravates the offence as it includes a breach of trust.
            It could even result in a custodial sentence, but that is IMO unlikely if you can show you were under severe stress at the time and are repaying the money.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to read, but that possibility exists
            That is why you need to speak to a solicitor asap

Comment

my father is in back home(india).Unfortunately,Its not easy to get anything from there .

My doctor wont be able to give me any letter in the back dates.

i have not been paying any money to them as it was never agreed.Even though i offered but this process never started and then i got dismissed .Thereafter it was a complete silence until i got this call after few months.

So i am not sure what exactly they thought after this long time to probe into this matter.

Comment

Perhaps you should have been more proactive in following up your offer to repay.
                Easy for me to say, but I realise how stressed you must have been, and easier to hope it goes away.

Even so, it would not harm your position to write to your exemployer, remind them of your offer and ask how they want you to make repayments.
                However do engage a solicitor first and clear it with them.

Comment

I managed to get in touch with my Area Manager and again offered him about paying the money back to them.He said that the case has been forwarded to the Loss Prevention Team of the company and they should contact you and arrange the repayment etc.

I remember my Area Manager who investigated this matter, had filled in the Civil Recovery Form (RLP)..

So maybe it's the Loss Prevention Team who has contacted the police to probe into this matter and feedback to them .

I believe the best way would be to wait for the interview,speak to the solicitor and then take it from there.

Comment

RLP will be looking for more than just repayment!
                    if you do hear from them feel free to post up here, and in any event keep in touch here for any support

Comment

Hi
                      Have you contacted the police yet ? If not I would do it as soon as possible- you really do not want them coming back.

It is not unusual for the police to take this long to contact you, especially if they have been investigating to see if you might have done it before you were caught. An example is, if they wanted bank statements they would need to get a court order for the bank to release your statements. I am not trying to scare you , just giving some reasons why it may have taken so long

With regard to a solicitor, may I recommend doing a bit of research and finding a criminal defence solicitor who will do be available and when you get to the police station request that solicitor - it might mean a wait but it may be worth it.

I would recommend following your solicitors advice and do not admit to anything unless your solicitor tells you to- be honest with your solicitor

As for not being able to show your face again- trust me when I say, people very soon forget - or don't even get to know

If you are worried about things , well ask your solicitor

If you are not working I think you will pass the criteria for legal aid although I can;t guarantee that . I know its easier said than done but try not to worry

Comment

the reason I say follow your solicitors advice is that a guilty plea at the first available opportunity ( and by that i mean the first time a court asks you for a plea ) gives an automatic discount on any sentence

I would be very surprised if you received anything greater than community service and possible a short suspended sentence
                        [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Not in your legal capacity but as a sensible lady - any thoughts

Comment

i got in touch with police,the officer on this case, he is going to call me next week to arrange a time for the interview,suitable for both of us.He offered me a solicitor which i have accepted.I told him that i can't afford to get my own.He agreed to arrange one for me.

I do work for another company.

just waiting for the interview day now.I will speak to the duty solicitor before i start my interview.

the only reason why police came to my door was that they tried to contact me,it was a private number,i did pick up but before we could talk,the call dropped and i couldn't even call back as i didn't have the number to call back..and i didn't get any call back from them either.

then i went through the 101 and contacted this PC who was the incharge .He called me back and then said how he has been busy and could not contact me again.

Then he briefly explained me about the reason,why he had contacted me and how he wanted to arrange the interview regarding that incident.

He said,they wanted to hear from me before they could reach a decision.,,he also added that I am not or will not be under arrest and after the interview i could go home and they would let me know about the decision later on.

so that's the current situation.The only thing i ' m concerned about is that they don't arrest me there and then .and that i don't want a criminal conviction against me as it might affect my immigration process in the future.

Comment

Hi All,

With regards, to my previous post..I need your expert opinion,

I had an interview with the police and came to know that the police was only looking for an answer about £655 not £2000.

I admitted in front of them that I had done the mistake and I am really ashamed of myself.I am willing to pay the amount as well.

At the end of the interview the police said that they would let me know about the outcome.

Today I got the letter asking me to appear before the Magistrate court.

I wud be very thankful if anyone pls let me know what could possibly happen there.

Thank you

Comment

Hi All,

With regards, to my previous post..I need your expert opinion,

I had an interview with the police and came to know that the police was only looking for an answer about £655 not £2000.

I admitted in front of them that I had done the mistake and I am really ashamed of myself.I am willing to pay the amount as well.

At the end of the interview the police said that they would let me know about the outcome.

Today I got the letter asking me to appear before the Magistrate court.

I wud be very thankful if anyone pls let me know what could possibly happen there.

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X