• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

garden fence blew down,who owns it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garden fence blew down,who owns it?

well 2 panels of our garden fence came down and we dont know who is responsible for the repair of it.

the house is an ex council house which we bought in 2001.

the fence is in the back garden and runs the full length of our back garden and separates our house from a council owned public footpath which is lit with lamposts.

the fence in total is a couple of hundred feet long and covers 4-5 houses,ours is the most central one and the only one bought,the rest are council owned.

i have tried the Land Registry - Land Registry website and downloaded our property boundries but it doesnt show any markings as to who is responsible for the fence.
    if you look at the attached picture that was the drawing from the land registry site,all that was on the drawing was the red boundary,i have added:

yellow= public footpatch
    black line= fence
    blue square=our house
    blue arrow=sections of fence missing

we contacted the local council who said that the fence was our responsibility but wouldnt give me that in writing,the lady said she would try to find out for definite and call back

our rear garden at the moment is open for anyone to walk into as it is open to the public footpath since about 20 feet of fencing is missing and we are worried the garden ornaments,pond items etc may go missing but dont know what to do.

we checked our insurance and altho it says fences are covered they are not covered for storm damage..

my wife is on dla and disabled and im on incapacity benefit due to a bad car accident many years ago and my nerves and muscles are damaged in my back.

any advice is much appreciated as to where we go from here and what your thoughts are.

thanks
    david
    Tags: None

Re: garden fence blew down,who owns it?

Most properties in the u.k, if you stand with your back to the wall, and look to the back of your garden, the fence to your left is usually your neighbours responsibility, if in doubt contact you local planning office, or check the deeds to your propety via your motgage lender or solicitor.

Comment

Re: garden fence blew down,who owns it?

ok thanks for that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X