• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

accident at school/not first aid trained

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accident at school/not first aid trained

is it a legal requirement for school PE TEACHERS to be trained in first aid

also

does a school have to have a minimum amount of staff trained in first aid ratio to amount of pupils

lad had compound fracture of arm and questions need to be answered by the school
    Tags: None

Re: accident at school/not first aid trained

Pretty sure the answer is yes, there has to be a certain number of first aiders per pupils.

I work in a local government office and there has to be a certain ratio of trained first aiders/fire wardens/evac chair buddies, per office.

Now, the exact figures, I'm unsure of, but the H&S team checks that the lists are maintained and are displayed correctly.

In a school I would imagine the requirements are even more rigorous.

As a first step, I would ask to see the schools H&S policy and Risk Assessments for managing such incidents.

p.s Hope your lad is ok, big hugs to him poor thing xx
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

many thanks

i just need confirmation on the requirements

safe system of work
      risk assessmants etc

Comment

Somewhere like a school will not have a one size fits all RA, it will be a site specific RA.

Ensuring teachers are trained as first aiders will be a basic requirement, also of the schools insurance cover.

These documents should be viewable immediately upon request.

What were the circumstances of the accident?
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

lad was playing rugby,both bones in lower arm broken, compound fracture,pinns and plate

was made to walk across playing field ,car park back into the school building with bones sticking out of skin

school class accident as a slip

Comment

Yikes, that was very stupid. No doubt he was in terrible shock, being made to walk back could have resulted in fainting and further injury.
            Was an ambulance called? Compound fractures are very painful and distressing.

So it's not the circumstances of how he came to be injured you are concerned with but how his injury was managed?

He should have been sat down on a jacket or something, given a warm blanket and the ambulance called to ensure that there was no further injury.

Comment

I can answer this one definitively as Health and Safety is an area of interest. Believe it or not H&S Regulations state schools must have first aid provision for employees, but do not go definitively beyond that.

However, there is a booklet produced by the Department for Education and Skills which schools are expected to abide by entitled "Guidance for First Aid in Schools."

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets...pdf/g/gfas.pdf

It is worth reading this so you know what is recommended as good practice. Ask to see their first aid policy, but more importantly ask how many qualified first aiders there are in the school, ask to see the incident book where your son's accident must be recorded by law, and this should state who dealt with him, what action was taken etc... You will then have your way forward.
              Last edited by labman; 16th November 2011, 18:01:PM.

Comment

he was told to go into the reception and left on his own in a room while an ambulance was called

this is truly shocking

Comment

My daughter when she was younger was unwell and she was taken to the nurse however the nurse was out and she was told she had to wait in this room on her own for a over an hour, since she was suffering with bad depression and the school were aware of this she should never have been left alone in a room the size of a cupboard. She was so bad after this incident I had to move her to a differnt school as she refused to go back.

The head teacher told me that she was a no hoper. Well this September just gone we attended her graduation where she earned an animal science BSc hons degree.

I would take this further with the education authorities as I believe the school have a duty of care.

Comment

I too would advise following the correct complaint procedures. The procedure will be unique to the school and I believe you have cause for complaint against several people.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                      Somewhere like a school will not have a one size fits all RA, it will be a site specific RA.

Ensuring teachers are trained as first aiders will be a basic requirement, also of the schools insurance cover.

These documents should be viewable immediately upon request.

What were the circumstances of the accident?
                      Sorry Cel but this is totally wrong. No teacher can be made to undergo First Aid training. There are some very unusual rules in education which are different to business. I believe the OP has the relevant information necessary to make a formal complaint now though.

Comment

It seems bizarre then that local council offices have basic risk assessment practises (e.g First Aiders, Evac buddies etc) and that my role extends into ensuring that our school properties have RA's for asbestos management, legionella and contractor management, yet there is no minimum requirement for managing those most dangerous and unpredictable creatures......... children!!?

Shocking but thanks :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Couldn't agree more! Yes, they're very hot (no pun intended) on the temperature of water coming out of hot taps, floor surfaces, roof surfaces, goal posts, overhanging trees etc....etc..., but often with a total lack of regard for the important bit of a school - the kids.

However, there are other systems in place to ensure that schools have procedures for qualified first aiders and all local authorities, as you will know, have their own policies which schools are bound to reflect in their own policies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X