• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rather long lawnmower question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather long lawnmower question...

Hello there,

Please forgive this rather convoluted question.

I bought a lawnmower from Mowdirect for my house in France around 8 weeks ago. They said I had 5 days to check the machine. I have no lawn in the UK so could only look over it- It was very well packed in an undamaged box. The mower looked a little dusty but all the parts seemed to be there. The website says all there mowers are tested before being delivered so I assumed-stupidly- that everything would be ok and I neednt fill it with oil and petrol in then repack it.
    I arrived a couple of weeks ago in France and assembled the mower and it didn't work. I called the service number and was told an engineer would be calling me back. While I was waiting for the call I noticed that one side of the round metal chassis (it's made of thick aluminium)was infact completely straight- a six to eight inch long dent, so straight I thought it was part of the design. This dent stops the blade turning. I called them again and they said that because I didnt check the mower properly I could not replace it. I explained that to my untrained eye I thought the dent was a design and that I couldn't turn on the mower and test it as I have no lawn in the uk and this was my first opportunity to do so.They said they had no recourse against the courier or the manufacturer. I told them (and sent lots of photographs) that the box was completely undamaged so the blame must lay with whoever checked it or packed it and not the courier. There were also nuts missing from the engine cover on top of the mower which means the engine cover is only held in place by the petrol and oil caps. Again I photographed all this and sent to Mowdirect. No matter how I tried to explain myself all they said was that "without prejudice" thay would sell me a new chassis for £157.00 +vat (the mower cost £600) or I could bang the dent out with a nylon hammer. I was asking for a replacement mower. Eventually after many calls and emails (and NOT checking my statutory rights) I bought a nylon hammer and removed enough of the dent to turn the blade. Mowdirect also sent replacement nuts.
    When I eventually got to turn the mower on there was a clunk and a huge chunk of metal spat out from the machine (the mower was on grass). It was a piece of the drive shaft holding the blade in place.
    Again I photographed this and sent to Mowdirect. This was the reply:

"I have spoken to the one of the partners here and as the fault that has developed is something more serious than the deck they have agreed without prejudice to replace the machine.
    Due to the time scale in reporting the fault with the machine it would be appreciated if you could send the machine back to our warehouse and on receipt we will order a replacement machine to be sent directly from Mountfield to the original delivery address.
    As you can appreciate we now will incur a substantial repair bill to replace deck and other parts which we have no claim through Mountfield or the Couriers (where the damage would have occurred through)."

they have also said:

I have been advised that in the circumstances of this issue it would not be deemed as unreasonable to request you arrange for the faulty item to be returned to us.
    The law does not define a period of time that a customer has to check the goods for damage however we clearly advise on dispatch of the goods in a durable means (email) that the goods should be checked within 5 working days...........
    ......however as the goods were in your possession for 7 weeks and also transported out of the UK and back again there is the possibility that the goods could have become damaged whilst in your possession / through a subsequent journey and transportation from properties.........
    .....I do not feel that it is unreasonable to request you arrange for the return of the goods.
    Without prejudice we have offered to send you a replacement machine which in the circumstances noted above is a gesture of goodwill

I now started to check my consumer rights and it seems to me from everything I've read under Distance Buying that if a fault develops within the first 6 months (regardless of the fact that it actually arrived damaged) then Mowdirect must collect the lawnmower and not me pay to send it back to them. We are now in dispute over this. Obviously to employ a courier to pick up the mower (I'm in England by the way!) will be very expensive- around £150- as opposed to the business courier rate that Mowdirect pay.
    I feel my Statutory Rights say that as a consumer Mowdirect must collect and replace the mower. I am not asking for a refund, just a replacement. I have not used the mower at all.

I have pointed Mowdirect to the Office of Fair Trading "Guide For Businesses on Distance Selling" which states :

3.68 If goods develop a fault within the first six months of being sold,
    the law presumes that the fault was there when you sold the goods –
    unless you can show otherwise. You should not charge return costs
    for goods that have been rejected because they are faulty.

Am I within my rights to ask them to collect the mower and replace it?

Thanks so much
    David Daniels

Re: Rather long lawnmower question...

Short answer; yes.

For a longer answer, look here Legal Beagles Consumer Forum and here New Member Advice - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum which although concerns a gas fire, is similar in principle.

Finally, post #2 here Broken tv - bought 28 October 2009 from Currys - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum deals with the reversed burden of proof you mention above.

Comment

Re: Rather long lawnmower question...

Thanks so much Cetelco!

The mower company contacted me yesterday and offered me a courier service of £30. This has become an issue of principle now and not who is paying for the courier.
      I feel the law is on my side and the "goodwill gesture" being offered by them is driving me up the wall.
      I have written the following email to them, using your advice and the advice of others. Does all this seem correct?

Here's my reply:

Dear *****

This is no longer a monetary issue for me but a matter of principle.

I have been in contact with a lawyer over this matter.

Before I take this to the next level can I just let you know that as a buyer I can take legal action under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 for up to six years after the date of my contract with you. In addition to this, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 gives me further rights and states that goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered must be taken not to have so conformed at that delivery date. This is termed the "reversed burden of proof" and no matter what you say to me you cannot supercede UK and EU law.

You are legally required to collect the mower from me.

Wherever I have transported the mower to and used it (or not in my case) does not affect my statutory rights and cannot be used by you as a legal argument.

I do not need a "goodwill gesture from Mowdirect" I need an honouring of my statutory rights.

Could you send me a letter from the manager of Mowdirect on headed paper explaining that your internal policies and procedures with regard to faulty goods take precedence over UK and EU law.

Thankyou

I'll let you know the outcome!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X