• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor's Errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor's Errors

Deleted
    Last edited by philrphil; 4th July 2009, 15:56:PM. Reason: Double Entry

Solicitor's Errors

I had cause to complain to a solicitor about his advice in respect of a business tranaction. I got nowhere with the Solicitor and therefore put my complaint to the Legal Complaints Service. After a while my complaint was upheld. In their summary the Legal Complaints Service described the Solicitor's work as "inadequate professional service" "not entirely transparrent" and "errors adjudged to be of a serious nature".

This was all very well but the Legal Complaints Service recomended that the solicitor should pay me just £1000. I accepted the £1000 but warned the soolicitor via the Legal Complaint Service that I would be taking further action to recover my losses which were as a direct result of the solicitor's errors. I duly invoiced the solicitor in the sum of £27592, a figure calculated by my accountants as the losses for which the solicitor should take responsibilty.

The solicitor has responded saying I had already £1000 and that he considered this as a fair settlement and he would not pay any more.

Obviously my first reaction would be to take the solicitor to court but I have discovered my claim is too big for the small claims court and that if I lost the case I could be stung for zillions in fees. I would also have to pay another solicitor to represent me. If anyone has had a similar experience I would very much value your comments? :confused2:

Comment

Re: Solicitor's Errors

small claims is up to £100,000 however over £5000.00 could means if you lose that you would have costs against you should you lose.

Comment

Re: Solicitor's Errors

The £1,000 award was simply a reduction in fees So provided you didn't sign full & final then you can pursue a claim & as the SRA have already stated the solicitor was at fault then I don't know what there is to defend other than perhaps quantum. Either-way they'll probably have to pay up & their liability insurer won't want risk what appears to be losing battle - I suspect they will make an offer at some point early in proceedings The solicitor your suing won't be permitted to run the case - Much like a car insurer they will want control of the claim so as to not incur unnecessary loss because of the intransigent of the other party

Hewetts Solicitors: Professional Negligence and Claims for bad advice - Online Solicitors, Reading, Berkshire.

or these

http://www.crippssolicitors.co.uk/pr...FUQA4woduDZxDA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X