• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Falsely accused of stealing in Tesco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falsely accused of stealing in Tesco

I was falsely accused of stealing a pair of wireless headphones from a branch of Tesco and would like some advice on how I have handled this issue so far. I would also value any insight on how it would be best for me to proceed. Briefly a rundown of our communication so far has been:

1. ~1st August - I brought a pair of headphones from Tesco Extra
    2. ~6th August - these headphones became non-functional
    3. 10th August - I attended the store to exchange the product. After successfully doing this I was blocked from exiting the store by a member of Tesco staff and accused of stealing
    4. 11th August - I wrote an email to Tesco complaining about how I was treated (cc'ing in their CEO)
    5. 14th August - I received an email highlighting that the complaint had been investigated and they asked for a mobile number to ring me for further discussion
    6. 15th August - phone number supplied and i gave availability for a phone call
    7. 17th August - I received a (most dis-satisfactory) phone call from the Customer Service Executive to the Tesco Board.
    8. 20th August - Further email sent by me, to Tesco, highlighting my ongoing dis-satisfaction with this communication.

I feel the background is best explained by the initial email I sent to Tesco so I have copied and pasted this below, with the identifiable information, such as names / staff job roles etc., taken out (sorry, essay!). I have highlighted in bold where I have made changes to protect identities etc.

"To whom it may concern,

I recently purchased a set of wireless headphones from Branch A of Tesco Extra in Location A. Unfortunately this particular set of headphones was not functional and required exchanging. I therefore re-attended the store on Friday 10th August 2018 at around 19.10, with this aim in mind.

Happily, despite me not having the original packaging, I got a new pair of headphones and exchanged them with the faulty pair under minimal fuss. This was with thanks to the very helpful staff on the Customer Services desk.

After this had been resolved I was contacted by my wife and had been asked to pick up some nappy bags. I then set off towards the "home essentials" area of the store to look for this particular product. I held my newly acquired headphones in my hand, with my product exchange receipt wrapped around the box (for no other reason than I didnt have a bag and didnt want to lose either). After a few moments looking for the nappy bags, I couldn't find what I was looking for and politely approached a member of staff for some help.

This particular member of staff bluntly advised me that the nappy liners are "near the pharmacy" and returned to his work. I felt his manner was very rude (bordering on contempt) and he treated me with unexplained suspicion but didn't think much about this at the time.

I then set off towards "near the pharmacy" and found what I was looking for. However, when I was picking these of the shelf, I saw that the same member who had directed me towards the nappy bags had followed me across the store. I initially put this down to coincidence as, when he saw that I had noticed him, he started talking to one of his colleagues.

I then headed towards the self-service checkouts to pay for my nappy liners so I could go home.

Again, as I was walking towards self-service I noticed I was under the continued attention of this particular member of staff. After paying for my nappy liners, I approached the exit. It was at this point that I became increasingly concerned about the treatment that I was subjected to.

I was stopped from exiting, in an abrupt and aggressive fashion, by the staff member who had previously been following me across the store. At this point the staff member directly accused of stealing my newly purchased headphones.

I instantanly produced the headphones and associated reciept for his attention and he spent several long seconds studying it. I then realised that I had the nappy liners as well, for which I had a seperate receipt. I produced this second receipt, without a specific request to do so, in order to be as cooperative as possible and get this misunderstanding resolved as quickly as possible.

This staff member was obviously under continued confusion and he then loudly and directly re-accused me of stealing headphones. This was incomprehensible to me considering he was in possession of my proof of purchase at the time of this second allegation.

All while this was happening, we were drawing the attention of other shoppers and staff members in a situation with escalating awkwardness. One of these shoppers happened to be one of my work colleagues at the NHS. This caused me considerable embarrassment because I was very clearly innocent of these allegations but this staff members actions and attitude were clearly demonstrating that he felt I was guilty of theft. This was communicated in a manner that was not only obvious to me, but also obvious to anyone in the surrounding area. I became more concerned by how I was being treated and was in, what I felt to be, a very difficult position. I was repeatedly (4-5 times) subject, loudly, to the same allegations. This was despite my explanations and him holding the supporting evidence contrary to these allegations.

My brother, who had been waiting outside whilst I was shopping, had come to find me just before I was stopped. He supported me throughout this encounter and we acted in a consistently polite and cooperative manner throughout. After several minutes and several explanations as to what had happened he finally showed understanding of the evidence in his hands. At this point, he shoved the headphones and receipt back into my hands and stormed off. This was without even the most basic or cursory apology for his manner or allegations.

I received awkward stares from staff and shoppers alike and quickly left in, what I felt to be, disgrace.

Unfortunately I did not have the presence of mind to record this encounter but cctv from the entrance to this branch will show evidence of what has been described above. This incident took place at some point between 19.30-19.50 on Friday 10 August 2018. I am not certain of this staff members name / job title but my memory of his badge was:

"Staff Member A, Job title A"

This may not be correct but again, I am hopeful that cctv will be able to help identify those involved.

I would, if at all possible, like to have answered:

1. Are Tesco staff, given a remit of stopping suspected thieves at the door of a shop? If so, is the above consistent with how they are trained to do this?

2. Where theft is suspected, contrary to the English legal system, is it Tesco policy for staff members to presume guilt and then act on that basis?

3. Is it able to be explained to me what motivated this staff member to suspect I was stealing headphones and why I was stopped?

4. Why was I continually subject to direct allegations of theft when he held proof of purchase in his hands?

Given my understanding of the Location A area, I suspect higher than average crime rates at this store but I do not feel that is fair cause for how I was treated. This incident caused considerable embarrassment to me, in front of colleagues and strangers. I feel I was nothing but open and courteous with my conduct during my time in the store.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in reviewing this matter.

Kind regards
    Winston1984"

I have included, as an attachment, a transcript of all subsequent emails between Tesco and myself and would be grateful for any assistance.

Communiation with Tesco.docx
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X