• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting, security took photos of me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting, security took photos of me

Hi, today I was caught shoplifting at Lidl.
    Firstly and I'm sure everyone says it but it was not a me thing to do, didn't make me feel better, stupid mistake.

I took 3 items and as I was leaving the store a customer ran to the security guard and told him to stop me.
    The security man grabbed my arm and waist and tried to grab both of my bags from me and open them in the front of the store.
    I pleaded that he let me go as it hurt and could we not do this somewhere else as it was embarrassing.
    He told me I was disgusting and deserved to be embasrraed as he led me to a back room not letting go of my arm.
    Once in the room he led me towards another locked room and twisted ed my arm until I went onto my knees and begged him to stop and asked if somebody else could come in as I was scared.
    He said no and I was resisting and he should call the police. I asked him not too and he insisted I come into the locked staff room and said ppl were in there.

There weren't.
    I didn't want to run but was scared. H
    ​​We went into the room and he ate some cake and started searching my bags and asked me to get out my I.d. He looked me up and down and said I was repulsive and will go to hell.
    He then took a photo of my drivers licence with my face and then took 2 photos of me on his phone.

He continued telling me I disgusted him then said he wouldn't call the police.

I am now terrified as he has my address and photo.
    What can he do with my photo? Will he pass it to other stores even if they aren't lidl? Was that even allowed?

I am also worried as there were no witnesses.
    I know it was wrong but I would at least ironically enough, like to know where I legally stand or I shall forever be paranoid.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Forget it. You may get some letters later demanding you pay for their losses but there has been no loss, they have their goods back, the security man was doing what he was paid to do so just ignore them. If in doubt come back on here.

And don't do it again.

Comment

Thanks Ostell.
      I'm really worried that he has my photo as he could now have passed it onto every shop around here and what if somebody recognises me? There isn't anything online about if it's protocol to take photos.

Can I be arrested later for this? It says the police can come by weeks later and honest I'm just scared that any moment I could have someone come after me.

Comment

you will no doubt get silly letters saying pay is from RLP - ignore they are entitled to nothing as goods were recovered at the store, stop panicking, sure somebody will comment soon on the photograph question ,

Comment

Hi and welcome
          That "security guard" has acted completely incorrectly, and if you had proof (the store's CCTV footage ?) you could probably initiate a claim against him for assault and false arrest. He was obviously a bully.
          I doubt though that you would want to take that action, and just want the incident to pass.

As ostell you may receive demand from a civil recovery firm which you can ignore.
          I'm not sure if Lidl actually employ such firms (I understand Aldi's don't) so you may not hear anything more anyway.

Comment

Thank you des8

It seems unfair that I am worrying about the way I was treated as I was stealing but it's still good to know what these guards are allowed to do.

Comment

Agree with DES8, forcing you onto your knees, and grabbing your arm and waist whilst at the same time trying to take your bags from you would certainly be aggressive to say the least. Personally I would ask for the cctv footage.

Comment

Setmefree3 its not even that I was resisting, I was going willingly too. Completely embarrassed about it all and it was unnerving how he flipped between being aggressive and then settling down to eat cake before berating me on my appearance.
                ​​​​​​If I ask for the cctv footage wouldn't that just aggravate the situation?
                I really just want my photos back as you never know where they can end up and it sure doesn't sound like he follows the rules of the trade.

Comment

You didn’t resist, yet he finds the need to grab your arm and waist followed by taking you into locked rooms!! He then twisted your arm so hard that it brought you to your knees. After that he berates you on your appearance and sits and eat cake. Something seriously wrong with him. (Hope he paid for that cake).

Comment

Haha it was in the staff room which was the locked room he took me into when he promised others would be in there as well as cameras.
                    Yep definitely a man with a grudge. Makes it all the more worrying as there's no telling what he will do with all the info he has on me.
                    He knows I can't go to the cops as I stole.
                    I've never felt so vulnerable so it really is nice having all of you answer.

Comment

He took you into the locked staff room where he said other staff would be? In that room which he said a camera was, he twisted your arm which brought you to your knees. Hope you feel better for talking.

Comment

You could write to head office requesting copy of CCtV, but if there is any the chances are it will have been deleted, either "accidentally" or because the request was not acted upon within 30 days of incident and has been deleted automatically..

He broke so many rules, regulations and guidelines it is unbelievable, but pragmatically there is little you would want to do about it because 1) your word against his, 2) no independent witnesses, 3)the unwanted publicity, 4) the sheer stress of it all.

Regarding the photos he would be extremely foolish to publish them on internet social media (which is probably what most concerns you)
                        If he did he would properly be in the doodah.
                        He was just bullying you, perhaps he even thought that acting the big strong boy would stop you being involved any future incidents, protecting his employer.
                        Yeah, I know but I try and see decent motives even where they don't exist, but there was no excuse for acting the way described

Comment

des8 Setmefree3 thank you both!
                          ​​​​​​Here's hoping he will delete the photos and they too aren't accidentally spread.
                          I do feel much better after this.
                          ​​​​​​​All the best guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Lidl_help View Post
                            des8 Setmefree3 thank you both!
                            ​​​​​​Here's hoping he will delete the photos and they too aren't accidentally spread.
                            I do feel much better after this.
                            ​​​​​​​All the best guys!
                            Get on with your life now a silly mistake to forget the Moron who treated you so badly will get what he deserves

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X