• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Different contents in product and company liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different contents in product and company liability

Back in April/May I was refinishing an instrument, using acrylic paints., for a customer. I had invested a lot of time in this project and, despite a few set-backs, all was going well. The finish was a metallic gold and once I was happy with that it was time to spray the clear gloss coats. I used one can of clear and later on, after drying, I reached for another can to continue building up layers but instead of clear gloss coming out I watched in horror as a swathe of black paint flew across the gold finish. I had to strip the top layer of clear coat and in doing so ruined an area of the gold coat. I had to buy more paint and spend several more hours getting the finish back to the state it was prior to being sprayed with black. I duly made a complaint to the supplier (not the retail outlet) who said that they'd have to contact the manufacturer.

Fast Forward to today and the supplier is claiming I never sent the details that they requested, despite me having electronic proof of doing so. I can sense I'm getting nowhere with them and am left wondering what else I can do to recoup the cost of the extra tins of paint and also for my time involved in getting the instrument back to a presentable state. I'd rather not go down the Small Claims route but I may have to. Any other avenues? Trading Standards?
    Tags: None

Presumably it was a case of the tin being marked as laquer actually containing black paint ( rather than you picking up the wrong tin ) - in which case you have done the right thing so far in following their complaint procedure and sending them the evidence and documentation. Have you not made a complaint to the retailer at all ? It may be worth doing that as well as the supplier. If they continue to refuse your claim then it is very likely you will have to take the case to the small claims court.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The retailer is a local Asian store and I just know they will bat away any approach; that's why I went direct to the supplier.

I'd let it go if it was a table-top I was painting for the house but not for an instrument belonging to a customer.

Comment

Ahh yep that makes sense - not like a big store like B&Q etc.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Just to wrap this, a cheque landed on the mat on Saturday. They made a 'goodwill gesture' amounting to my time but not for the cost of the other cans of paint. Still, it's something, I suppose.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X