• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Steering wheel issues - Is garage responsible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The VW garage have done diagnostics and said its an issue with the torque converter. To fix it they need to "Requires steering rack with track rod ends and control arms plus geo" - which turns out very expensive. They havent put it in writing, but from what it seems would have done the computer diagnostics. It was under an hour for 60 £. So cant imagine them stripping the car during that time (or maybe they did).
    They wouldnt want to say if what the other garage has done might have affected anything, but only what they see at face value as part of their diagnosis.

The old garage has refused to divulge details to me directly (although its my car) in terms of the work they did when looking at the steering wheel issue. Going to ask them again one last time. As verbally they have mentioned before about replacing the steering column and also that only programming is left for car to be collected soon.But I am in the dark as dont have it in writing.

The citizens advice site states "If the repair didn’t work or it created a new problem - You should ask the garage to fix any faults that:didn’t exist before you took the car to the garage" - Do you think this applies in this situation.

Is there a case here at all to take up? If not, it will just be more stress and money that I cant recover. So would need to think about it.

Have a good weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by carx12 View Post
      The VW garage have done diagnostics and said its an issue with the torque converter.
      So have you moved the car to a VW garage or is it still at the original garage?

I would be very surprised it is the torque convertor at fault as that is only part of the automatic gearbox & if it's a DSG gearbox, I'm not even sure they are fitted.
      Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Rather than ‘torque converter it’s most likely ‘steering torque sensor’.

Comment

I'm told that the sensors, motor and steering control module are all integral parts of the rack and any failure usually means replacement of the whole lot.

You will have difficulty pinning the cause of the failure on replacement of the rod ends, or any other work the original garage carried out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X