• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rodent problem at storage unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no cause to check the items in the storage and was on a time limit to load the van as I went after work at 4pm and they were closing at 4:30pm

Comment

I was on a time limit wen picking my stuff up from the storage as I went after work at 4pm and the storage was closing at 4:30pm so had to be quick getting on so didn’t have chance to check items at the location

Comment

Don't worry I wasn't disbelieving you, I always anticipate the potential arguments which the other side might raise so you can prepare to counter them. You need to build your case for a formal complaint even if this doesn't progress to court (hopefully not).

I see from their website that they have a "comprehensive CCTV system which monitors and records all site activity". It would be good if there were some footage of the rodents scurrying around the premises.

Was there an inventory taken when you deposited the goods such as a list of items or the number of boxes etc?

I also see that they have a FaceBook page where you can leave a review. That might be one way to start the conversation if you get no response to your complaint. Social Media can be useful as long as what's posted is honest, accurate and not libellous > https://en-gb.facebook.com/securestore365/

Maybe your starting point should be a formal complaint to the Directors of the company. You'll find their names on Companies House (their accounts appear to be overdue) > https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09111685

Di

Comment

There was no inventory when I first put my goods into the storage as is was a storage container to which I had 24 hours access and key/padlock........ at the time I didn’t foresee any problems so didn’t think it was necessary

im not entirely sure the cctv would cover the “tin shelter” that they moved my goods to after moving them out of the storage unit as the shelter isn’t in the compound of the storage units but behind a different locked gate next door

i currently attempting to draft an initial letter to send to them but having trouble with how to word it

Comment

iv finally managed to word the complaint letter, sorry it took so long.

please can you give me any pointers as to if it needs changing

ADDRESS

Email Address

12th May 2018

THEIR ADDRESS

Dear xxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxx

I’m writing this letter as a formal complaint

I used your storage facilities in D from Sept 2017-April 2018 to store the contents of my house.

During which time I fell into financial hardship and missed some payments

Under your terms and conditions you moved my possessions to another secure location and agreed a repayment structure to clear the outstanding amount and further rolling rental fees.

I finished off payments and duly went to collect my goods, I had to pick them up after work but before you closed for the day, I had 1 hour from collecting a hire van to picking up the goods.

Upon getting home I started unpacking my goods and too my horror found many of the boxes/bags were damaged and soiled with rodent faeces and urine.

Under your terms and conditions it states that once steps have been taken to relocate the goods the contract is then terminated.

As I was continuing to pay rental fees alongside paying the outstanding amount I can say with certainty that you still owed more than a reasonably duty of care to my goods and the location they were moved to (the old tin shelter) and the fact they were covered in rodent excrement an damage shows that you neglected that duty of care!

I have had to dispose of a lot of items, furniture, clothes, and many children’s toys that cost a considerable amount of money.

I have taken legal advice on this matter and as a result I will be claiming damages to replace the lost goods.

I have invoices showing that I was still paying the monthly rental fees after the goods were moved and have documented all the items that were disposed of with photographs.

I look forward to your prompt response in this matter

xxxxx
            Last edited by Kati; 13th May 2018, 09:02:AM.

Comment

Just noted your post and will comment later (very busy at mo' with visitors) but suggest you (or Kati ) remove your personal details

Comment

Ah thanks, didn’t realise that, was a bit stupid of me lol

Comment

Sorry about the delay, but busy with family visitor from Australia.

You really need to include with your letter an itemised account for the amount you are claiming.
                  If you intend pursuing this through the courts you will need to demonstrate your losses.

Invoices don't show that you continued paying the rental.
                  you need either receipts or bank statements or similar.

and the duty of care would be breached, not neglected.

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X