• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wedding Venue Cancellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Venue Cancellation

My husband and I had to change the date of our wedding, and the venue that we had already placed a deposit down on didn't have any other dates available for us to change to. So, we decided to book a registry office and have a small do in a pub afterwards, accepting that we would lose the deposit with the venue. We paid a non-refundable £500 deposit, plus a refundable £300 ceremony fee. When cancelling I found out that the following t's and c's apply to cancelling the date:

18. A holding deposit of £500 is required for parties, which will be returned less any cost for breakages.
    19. In the event of cancellation, the booking deposit is non-refundable. Additional cancellation fees will be charged as follows:
    o Between 12 and 6 months before the date: £500 + VAT.
    o Less than 6 months before the date: Balance of hire subject to a maximum of £1,500 + VAT.
    o Additional cancellation charges will be refunded if the date can be re-hired on satisfactory terms.

Because the wedding is 5 months away, they sent an invoice for £1,500 minus the £300 ceremony fee. In shock, I emailed them to explain the situation, hoping they would be kind to us.

They have reduced the cancellation fee to £750 + VAT, but we will not get back the deposit or ceremony fee, meaning we have paid them £1,550+VAT for doing absolutely nothing. The entire venue hire would have only been £2,300 anyway if we'd gone ahead with the wedding on that date.

I understand they potentially have lost money, but they haven't actually incurred any money lost yet. I also checked a number of wedding sites and they are not advertising the date on any of them, which leaves me questioning if they are actually going to try and book it with another couple. It is a popular date in August so I would have thought it would have a good chance of re-booking.

Do I have an argument to not pay this additional cancellation fee? I can live with losing the ceremony fee. (and we never thought we'd get back the deposit).

Thank you
    Tags: None

By the wording of the terms you agreed it appears you are liable, but I would challenge them based on this bit as if they aren't advertising the venue as being available then how can they ever satisfy this clause.

Additional cancellation charges will be refunded if the date can be re-hired on satisfactory terms.
    Do you have a friend whom could email their general enquiry address to seek availability of dates in August? If they email back excluding your date then you might have something to go on. You could even just set up a throw away gmail address to do it yourself.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you, I will set up an email and see if they mention our available date. If they do, but continue to not appear to advertise it in anyway, do you think we have any kind of argument against them?

Comment

If they decided to file a claim at court and you could show that they are not making any effort to market the date then you could potentially Counterclaim for the same amount as they claim under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

If they havent made the effort to try to obtain another booking how can you ever have had opportunity to have the additional fee refunded? Therefore it is an unfair term.

I assume these a pre drafted terms and you didn’t specifically negotiate that term?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi
          This sounds harsh but in my opinion is right, wedding venues are generally booked up months in advance and they were counting on the revenue . As far as them not advertising the date I am not convinced you can hold this against them unless you offered to cover the costs involved of re advertising which could be considerable if they do not get a booking.

Without knowing the details of the venue, it is possible they will have also incurred costs such as booking a team to dress the room , ordered stock for the dressing etc etc

Comment

Thank you, this makes sense. I will start documenting their lack of advertising the date and ask them what they plan to do to re-book the date too.

Yes, these are standard terms on their contract.

Comment

Things like if they aren’t listing it as available on their website if they list open dates, there’s no cost to them to do that and it’s completely reasonable if you to expect them to take that step.

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                Hi
                This sounds harsh but in my opinion is right, wedding venues are generally booked up months in advance and they were counting on the revenue . As far as them not advertising the date I am not convinced you can hold this against them unless you offered to cover the costs involved of re advertising which could be considerable if they do not get a booking.

Without knowing the details of the venue, it is possible they will have also incurred costs such as booking a team to dress the room , ordered stock for the dressing etc etc
                Yes I completely understand that they will lose revenue from us not having our wedding there, and would have definitely booked the date with someone else had we not. However, they haven't done anything for us, nor have they incurred any costs to date. The date is a popular date in August that I believe they will have no trouble re-booking as a last minute date if they market it appropriately. In regard to advertising costs, the venue are already advertising on Hitched, but not showing as available in August.

Comment

Have a look at the following links that might be of use (last one is the Competition and Markets Authority guidance on unfair terms)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/w...d-to-play-fair

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...contract-terms

https://assets.publishing.service.go...n_Guidance.pdf
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob, I will have a read

Comment

Originally posted by eviveson View Post

I completely understand that they will lose revenue from us not having our wedding there, and would have definitely booked the date with someone else had we not.

I suppose they could argue that they've lost the business which they rejected because the date/day which you booked wasn't available to others from the time when your booking was accepted until the time you cancelled it.

Although I'm not sure how they could prove that unless they kept details of all/any enquiries which were turned away.

Without knowing the facts it's hard to comment but hotels/venues make money from wedding 'spin-offs' such as guests who stay at the hotel and spend on the hotel's facilities (was the venue a hotel?) which would not be included in your bill for the actual wedding.

I hope your wedding and associated celebrations go well regardless of this annoyance.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X