• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ukrainian International Airlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukrainian International Airlines

This is an unusual issue.

My Wife travelled with Ukrainian International (UIA) in October to Kiev from London Gatwick. The flight was delayed by 8 hours and she filled in a form to claim under the EU rules about flight delays Euro 400.

The airline rejected the claims stated exceptional circumstances (but provided no details at all of what they were)

We contacted the CAA and the took up the matter for us, but got nowhere they said in writing that UIA CANNOT claim exceptional circumstances and they should pay us. If they did not we should put in a County Court Claim and they kindly directed me to Money Claims Online.

I put in a claim, which UIA did not respond to - Great I thought.
    We got Judgement and a CCJ
    I sent the baliffs around to their UK office and the response back was - no assets that could be realised.

Off course this is rubbish as the Airline has Millions of Dollars of planes - though I guess they are registered in Ukraine.

How to proceed next? It is clear they are hiding behind the rules and using their non UK / EU base to avoid paying.

I don't like their approach to this but also I dont want to throw good money after bad.

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks

Adrian
    Reporting Accounts - Free business intelligence
    Tags: None

Have you tried https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies...ontact-details

Comment

Thanks but that seems to be a dispute resolution service. I won the legal case and have a CCJ already so there is no defence, my question is how to enforce the judgement given the baliffs found no assets they could seize.

Comment

They fly from London Gatwick do they not> then they must have computer etc systems there ?? maybe if not agency

Comment

How the CAA can help | UK Civil Aviation Authority

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...-CAA-can-help/

Comment

I suppose the problem. Is UIA is essentially bankrupt from what I heard.
            Ground crewe will not work for them and the kit they have at airports will not belong to them.

I think the CAA might be a good point

Comment

The CAA requested UIA to pay compensation but they refused, CAA then told me to make a claim. They have plenty of assets just not in the UK, their planes are registered in Ukraine.

Comment

Is the CCJ over £600?

Those planes land at some point and if seized at Gatwick Airport by a High Court Enforcement Officer under a Writ of Control could be just the leverage needed. And if not I'm sure the sale of a plane at auction would cover the debt.

Airlines contract out most things, but they tend to own their planes.
                Last edited by jaguarsuk; 21st March 2018, 12:48:PM.
                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Sadly CCJ is for £445

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X