• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Catalogue returns faulty goods advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalogue returns faulty goods advice please

Hi, my wife ordered a hoover from her catalogue she has been with over 20 years and had no problems. When the hoover arrived we discovered it had an intermittent problem with picking up, a family member who had already bought one from same catalogue tried it and said it was not working like hers, so my wife arranged for it to be returned clearly marked faulty, however, the catalogue tried twice to send it back to us and my wife told the delivery man she had not ordered a replacement. She then contacted the catalogue company to explain the situation that the hoover had an intermittent fault and she did not require a replacement as she needed one urgently and bought one locally. Their reply was the hoover was a non returnable item at it had been used, we wrote again saying we returned it due to the intermittent fault, it would pick up then stop, no blockage then be ok only to repeat, we said we had a legal right to return goods we felt were faulty, they said their engineer looked at it and it was working ok so they would hold the hoover for 6 weeks and if we didn't agree to re-delivery it would be disposed of and we would be charged, the value is £93.

Where do we stand here, it seems a bit heavy handed, we were not offered a copy of any report, if the problem is intermittent it may have been ok when they looked at it, surely a customer with no expertise should have to prove a fault? And do we have any rights under the "Distance Selling Rules" as it was returned within 14 days? I dont believe their company rules can override UK Consumer protection Law, I would be very grateful for any advice before we write to them again. Thank You
    Tags: None

The 14 days distance selling rules is if you don;t like something you ordered on line then you have 14 days to return it unused as you didn't like it. What you should be looking at is the Consumer Rights Act 2015 This allows you to reject faulty goods within 30 days. It's up to you whether you want repair, replacement or refund. Try again mentioning the act.

If you do a google search for "consumer rights act" you will get quite a few helpful explanations of the act rather that the plain legislation.
    An Act to amend the law relating to the rights of consumers and protection of their interests; to make provision about investigatory powers for enforcing the regulation of traders; to make provision about private actions in competition law and the Competition Appeal Tribunal; and for connected purposes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X