• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another RLP Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another RLP Thread

Sorry I know there are so many of these floating around! I've read through a lot of them but am still not sure what to do in my specific situation.

Basically, a week ago I was caught taking around £3 of food items from Boots. I was stopped by security and went willingly back in the store with them. The items were recovered undamaged. I was co-operative and willingly let them look through my bags to show there was nothing else. They had originally called the police but cancelled it when they realized the items were of low value. I was in there about ten minutes, they issues me with a ban then let me go.

I have since received a letter from RLP saying they are entitled to claim costs blah blah blah and if I wish to defend myself I should respond within 21 days.

My Mum thinks I should respond as I am type one diabetic and pregnant and have been suffering from severe hypoglycemia. This obviously affects my physical and mental wellbeing - when sugars are constantly low the brain is deprived of oxygen. I also suffer from extreme anxiety which is even worse atm as I I lost my last pregnancy. (I know this doesn't make it right what I did) However I know replying would be admitting liability. But I guess they know I'm liable, they'll have it on CCTV. So my dilemma is do I reply with my defence or should I ignore it? Would they actually have much of a case against me and are they likely to take it to court over such a small amount?
    Tags: None

I am scared they will look back on cctv and have more evidence to sue me if I ignore the letters.
    Last edited by Ivy46; 6th March 2018, 14:12:PM.

Comment

Also...if RLP pass my details onto a debt collector, will this affect me getting a mortgage?
      Last edited by Ivy46; 8th February 2018, 21:44:PM.

Comment

So Boots got everything back and there was no loss so RLP can't really claim for a loss. The last time they tried taken someone to court they got thoroughly spanked.

Just ignore RLP. Without going to court they can't get a CCJ which is the only thing that would affect a mortgage application and as they did not suffer the loss they can't actually take you to court

Debt collectors can't affect your mortgage

Comment

As ostell, just ignore RLP and the threatening letters they send you inviting you to pay some enormous amount of money.
          Boots aren't going to go back through their CCTV records (if they even still have them).

You need to put this behind yourself, and not let it worry you.
          To write to them explaining your condition won't put RLP off.
          What they will do is write back asking you for proof of your condition, which will mean obtaining a letter from your doctor and all the stress of explaining why to him/her.
          And at the end of it RLP being the scum they are, will probably keep hassling you, as they will realise you are vulnerable and so an easy target.

Just ignore them and their begging letters (about 5 in all which you can read in advance here: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...rs-rlp-and-dwf

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I have read another thread in which someone with mental disabilities explained the circumstances to RLP and they did not take further action. So I wasn't really sure if it would be in my best interests to do this or to just ignore them. When they pass your details on to a debt collector, does this mean they will literally harass you for life?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivy46 View Post
              Thank you for your responses. I have read another thread in which someone with mental disabilities explained the circumstances to RLP and they did not take further action. So I wasn't really sure if it would be in my best interests to do this or to just ignore them. When they pass your details on to a debt collector, does this mean they will literally harass you for life?
              No, the DCA is one last attempt to scare people.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X