• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Payed £3000 for car lasted 6 months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payed £3000 for car lasted 6 months

Bought a car from a garage which had a few cars for sale, bought a Zafira £300 cash, took a warranty out same time. The guy explained if anything happens warranty wise will fix any problems, my husband test drove it,it seemed the gear stick moved back and fourth. My hubby mentioned it but the guy basically ignored him so he thought it was ok. He drove it home in which it was fine,we got. 3 month warranty with it, all seemed ok till last month it started jumping out of gear I thought it was my driving�� Anyway on the 29 th of November I was driving on motorway to work and the car didn't seem right there was rattling from underneath so pulled off the motorway went to a garage in which I couldn't go to work the machanic said the gearbox has gone. I was gutted upset coz I couldn't go to my next job in which I work all over the north west cleaning properties, rang warranty wise machanic sent them a report,I received a letter saying my they declined to fix my car as it had a m32 gearbox, in which there's a manufactures fault on them, rang Vauxhall they said they don't have a problem with these gearboxes so I'm in limbo land don't no where to turn, the garage where I bought the car said there's nothing they can do, is there any advise for me please?
    Last edited by Maggie57; 20th December 2017, 19:12:PM. Reason: Should have months not moths
    Tags: None

Re: Payed £3000 for car lasted 6 moths

Hi and welcome

What was the exact date of purchase please?

Comment

Bought it 17/06/2017

Comment

So you purchased the vehicle on 17th june, it broke down on 29th November and you have requested the garage repair it , but they have refused.
        So now WRITE (signed for or email read receipt) to the dealer saying you purchased this vehicle on 17/06/2017, and it broke down on 29/11/2017.
        You requested a repair which they have refused,
        You are therefore exercising your final right to reject the vehicle as per Consumer Rights Act 2015, and require a refund.

I'm hoping you requested the garage "do something" before the 17th December.
        If the vehicle proves to be unsatisfactory in the first six months after purchase, it is deemed that the faults were present when the vehicle was purchased.
        The dealer has one opportunity to repair the vehicle, but this he has declined to do, and so you have the right to reject the vehicle and have a refund.
        The refund will be subject to a deduction for usage.
        You can also claim damages for extra costs which flow directly from the vehicle proving to be unsatisfactory.

Comment

Thank you your very helpful, what do have to do now please? They said they can get it repaired but I will have to pay,

Comment

Yes I rand
            the garage, got the phone numbers the days I rang them on my mobile

Comment

They are wrong: they repair at their expense with no inconvenience to you.
              They collect and deliver car, in a reasonable time
              This is your statutory rights as per Consumer Rights Act 2015.
              If they refuse, you reject and they refund.!

Comment

Tthank you des will try this,

Comment

Hi
                  i work at a dealership , you have a right within 6 months of purchase for the vehicle to be fit for purpose ,the garage has to make the vehicle roadworthy at their own cost,if you get no joy with them contact the citizens advise that will point you in the right direction, if the vehicle was on finance contact them and they will also help you , I hope that's a help and you get sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy legs View Post
                    Hi
                    i work at a dealership , you have a right within 6 months of purchase for the vehicle to be fit for purpose ,the garage has to make the vehicle roadworthy at their own cost
                    There's no right for the vehicle to be fit for purpose for 6 months as that is effectively amounts to a warranty. The vehicle simply has to be fit for the purpose it is being supplied for and as you say in this case, the car needs to be sold in a roadworthy condition. I don't think there is an argument for fitness for purpose as the car has been driven just under 5 months without issue so I think you could say that the car was in a roadworthy condition at the time, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

However as Des has pointed out, there may be grounds to argue the vehicle may not be of satisfactory quality, but aside from the cost of the vehicle, we know nothing else about its condition, history etc which I would think is important for us to know. Are you able to tell us the vehicle's:

1. Age
                    2. Mileage when purchased
                    3. Mileage at the time the fault occurred

The dealer has offered a three month warranty which has now expired and the vehicle has been driven for 5 months before this issue has happened. In my view, it's these types of scenarios where the situation doesn't seem to be clear cut and there could be a risk if you decided to commence legal proceedings at some point.

The dealer should have carried out a reasonable inspection of the vehicle prior to putting it up for sale and explained or advised any potential issues with the vehicle either in the advertisement or when you spoke in person, which you would then usually be reflected in the price. At the same time, did you or your husband ask any specific questions about the car such as, whether or not they are aware of any issues or if the vehicle requires any repairs in the near future? If the dealership failed to disclose anything and simply said no, then you might be able to hang them on misrepresentation as well as the possibility of unsatisfactory quality.

The right to reject and obtain a refund is not automatic in a sense because the dealer does have a defence if they can prove that they carried out reasonable checks on the car prior to the selling. They would also likely argue that the vehicle is second hand and, given the amount you paid for the vehicle probably has at least a good amount of miles clocked up (maybe 50-70k miles?) as well as the fact it has been driven without issue for the past 5 months and could not therefore rule out the driving style of the person driving it.

On a final note, what did the report say, did you obtain a copy of it?
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

From the OP's comment in the first post about gear lever movement I would hazard a guess that there was a worn bearing in the gearing which has now failed.

Not going to get technical, but it is down to design and materials used that this is not an uncommon fault, although failure to change gearbox oil as per schedule can also play a big part.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X