• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guarantor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantor

Hi,

I have read a few posts on this forum regarding Guarantor's but my situation is different and am struggling to find advice so I hope somebody here can help as I am terrified and worried about what is going to happen!

Ok, so to briefly put the situation out there.

I was 19, my parents were struggling and my Father wanted to start a Franchise.
    My Mum went along with him, and because I wanted to help, I told my father I would give him all the money I had to help him out.

So he set everything up, he put me as director, and I had to sign some forms and documents etc etc. I didn't really know what I was signing, but he signed it and told me to so I did. Trusting in my father I thought I would sign.

Anyway, the business went along, but I no longer wanted to stay and so I decided to resign as I wanted to do something else with my life. I wanted to move on and get a different job etc. And so I resigned as Director.

Anyway the business has suffered and my father split from my mother and moved away to a different country!
    Apparently the company is now going through closing down proceedings.

A letter appeared from a finance company that my father went with to help start up the business for items to run the business.

This was a termination notification with a large sum and my name was Cc'd onto it.

I went through the files my mother has from the business to find out original paperwork, and it turns out that I signed a 'Guarantee and Indemnity' page when I was 19!

Now I guess this means that this is a personal guarantee?! And so they can chase me for the money owed? Would this be a personal guarantee? Is doesn't say personal on it but I guess that is what it is?!

My father and mother have both signed the same paperwork.

So the questions I have, even though I resigned, am I liable for this sum?

Is the amount split 3 ways? My Father and Mother I believe will be filing for bankruptcy, if they come to me for the whole amount I will have to file too! But what happens with the funds then, would the bankruptcy require each of us to pay a 3rd back ?

The only debt I have is a small personal loan, and now apparently this!

What would be the best option for me?!

In the letter from the finance company it says that they give 7 days to pay, your case will be sent to solicitors and legal proceedings may be brought against you and any guarantor to the agreement.

What legal proceedings are these?

I am terrified as I am only 23 and am trying to get a start in life, I have been unemployed and start a new job this Wednesday! I am living at my aunties house as she moved away. I am getting married next month but am so worried about it I can't concentrate on the wedding.

I dont know what they are going to do to me or my partner! I was so young and didn't have a clue what I was signing! Now I wish I never signed anything or trusted my father but it seems as though it is far too late!

I hope somebody can help please. The 7 days is up tomorrow I don't know what to do
    Tags: None

Re: Guarantor

Have you notified the creditors that you had resigned as a director ?

Comment

Re: Guarantor

I didn't at the time as I had no idea about it until the letter came through about paying up, although it has my name signed, I signed it because my Father told me to.
      I feel totally screwed and I would hate for anybody to go through what I have! You trust your Dad, and you think he's doing right for you.

They now know and have found out when I resigned, I had adivce to call them and see if they would accept a lump sum, Ok not as much as they want but it's something. Because I am young, and wanting to start a new family I didn't want to be forced into bankruptcy.
      That didn't change anything, nor did they care.

But because I signed it as a guarantor they can now keep coming after me for the money if I am with the business or not

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X