• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DCA requesting payment of Ex Partnership Loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA requesting payment of Ex Partnership Loan

This is my first ever post to a board so hope you will excuse if I get things wrong.
    Story so far:
    I sold my share in a business partnership in 2006 with the proviso that this was a full buy out including the remaining partner taking over all debts and responsibilities - A loan had been taken out in 2005 under both names. Documents were sent to bank and they agreed verbally to remove my name from this joint loan. Last year, the owner of the business became ill, later died the business was closed. The family of the deceased are trying to sort out my ex partner's affairs. He did leave debts, including monies owed to myself but they will have some proceeds from the sale of his house to fall back on should they ever be able to sell it in todays climate.

Early Feb I received what looked like a phishing letter, I ignored this but read up about the company on the internet. Waited for the next letter duly received from a Debt Collection agency. I also received phone calls which I refused to answer. The letter was threatening in tone and gave no indication of what the debt was for. To my knowledge there was no debt outstanding. Looking at different threads regarding this company and how to respond, I sent them a without prejudice, prove it letter. Their response was to send a copy of a statement purporting to be from Lloyds TSB showing details of payments of this joint business loan from which my name should have been removed. Of course, it had not been and with my ex business partner's death regular payments had ceased. They are not asking for too much, but that is not the point. Why did the bank not approach me in an acceptable manner, I would not have liked it, but I would have appreciated it better than what is being done.

I was not sure how to progress this issue but because this company is not giving me much time to respond appropriately I was going to send a CCA letter or a SAR letter (think I have that right) requesting any information relating to this loan as appertaining to myself, I do not have a copy of the agreement, which incidentally the papers were brought to the premises for signature. However, overlooking the statement information this company has sent, I have noted that on the 3rd page of the statement is headed with another person's name same account number. This person seems to have continued paying this account as the final entry at the end of page 4 of 4 is £0.00. I really dont know what this is about - has someone paid the account on my ex-business partner's behalf. In which case why is the DCA trying to claim monies. Could this loan have been sold on, in which case why pay it off? Not sure where to go from here. Can I argue that this account has been paid in full by a.n.other or do I continue on the original route and ask for a CCA disclosure to procrastinate a bit whilst I take advice. I am also not sure if I request a SAR what info I can request as I am an ex business partner. I would have liked to view the agreement and terms and conditions to find out where I stand. Dont even know if it had insurance attached or even if that would make a difference. Also I would like to know how this other person figures in the story. (Seems to be a private address not a company) I even wonder if the DCA has not contravened the data protection act by sending this statement with another person's name displayed, although thats probably trivia.

A bit jumbled I know but any guidance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sleeplessella; 16th February 2011, 18:20:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: DCA requesting payment of Ex Partnership Loan

Originally posted by sleeplessella View Post
    This is my first ever post to a board so hope you will excuse if I get things wrong.
    Story so far:
    I sold my share in a business partnership in 2006 with the proviso that this was a full buy out including the remaining partner taking over all debts and responsibilities - A loan had been taken out in 2005 under both names. Documents were sent to bank and they agreed verbally to remove my name from this joint loan. Last year, the owner of the business became ill, later died the business was closed. The family of the deceased are trying to sort out my ex partner's affairs. He did leave debts, including monies owed to myself but they will have some proceeds from the sale of his house to fall back on should they ever be able to sell it in todays climate.
    Do you have anything in writing from the bank?
    Early Feb I received a letter from a company called Pace Forward which looked to be a phishing letter, I ignored this but read up about them on the internet. Waited for a letter from Rockwell Debt Collection agency which I received. I also received phone calls which I refused to answer. The letter was threatening in tone and gave no indication of what the debt was for. Looking at different threads regarding this company, I sent them a without prejudice prove it letter. Their response was to send a copy of a statement purporting to be from Lloyds TSB showing details of payments of this joint loan from which my name should have been removed. Of course, it had not been and with my ex business partners death regular payments had ceased. There are not asking for too much but that is not the point. Why did the bank no approach me in an acceptable manner, I would not have liked it but I would have appreciated it better than what is being done.

They may well have approached the principal person on the loan ie the partner. Not sure why they didn't attempt to make contact directly and that might be something you might want to ask LloydsTSB about.

I was not sure how to progress this issue but because this company is not giving me much time to respond appropriately I was going to send a CCA letter or a SAR letter (think I have that right) requesting any information relating to this loan as appertaining to myself, I do not have a copy of the agreement, which incidentally the papers were brought to the premises for signature. However, overlooking the statement information this company has sent, I have noted that on the 3rd page of the statement is headed with another person's name same account number. This person seems to have continued paying this account as the final entry at the end of page 4 of 4 is £0.00. I really dont know what this is about - has someone paid the account on my ex-business partner's behalf. In which case why are Rockwell trying to claim monies. Could this loan have been sold on, in which case why pay it off? Not sure where to go from here Can I argue that this account has been paid in full by a.n.other or do I continue on the original route and ask for a CCA disclosure to procrastinate a bit. I am also not sure if I request a SAR what info I can request as I am an ex business partner. I would have liked to view the agreement and terms and conditions to find out where I stand. Dont even know if it had insurance attached or even if that would make a difference. Also I would like to know how this other person figures in the story. (Seems to be a private address not a company) I even wonder if the DCA has not contravened the data protection act by sending this statement with another person's name displayed, although thats probably trivia.

A bit jumbled I know but any guidance would be appreciated.
    If the balance says £0.00 are you certain it is not a lump sum bad debt write off?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thank you for responding with comments. To answer your questions: Unfortunately I do not have any documentation at all regarding this loan. My ex business partner had all the details. To the best of my knowledge I never had a copy of the agreement, the papers came to the premises and I was asked to sign and forward back. When I sold up, the bank asked to see documentation re the sale of the business before agreeing, verbally to remove my name from any documentation. Once I had left, my ex business partner was supposed to chase up that this had happened, but I never queried if he had done so. Niaive I am sure, but this was an amicable buy out, also I had no reason to suspect that the bank would not follow through on their verbal agreement. The guy I spoke to at the bank said it should not be a problem.

With regard to your comment re Lloyds, it is a fair comment and I think you are correct, perhaps I need to contact the bank to find out if the DCA is legitimately acting on their behalf. My concern was that the DCA only gave me 10 working days to sort and after a couple of days sent me another letter demanding payment. I can't work that fast which is why I was going to send a CCA or SAR letter.

Finally, thank you for the reference to this lending standards board it was a site I was not aware of. Unfortunately I cannot open the PDF document but will sort that and read. In the meantime, could you give me some idea what a lump sum bad debt write off is?

Incidentally did a google search on the alternate address which is shown on the latter pages of the statement. Looks something like a small business / incubator office, there were what seemed to be flats above so it could even be a domestic premises. The guy remains a mystery but the amount the DCA is trying to reconcile coincides with the amount of money this person seems to have paid to finish the loan. This was done in two separate payments 1 was a standard payment, the other the remainder of the loan which was equivalent to another 3 payment amounts. There was only 4 months of payment oustanding on the loan.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if Section 17 point 3 of the Partnership Agreement of 1890 where is says " A retiring partner may be discharged from any existing liabilities, by an agreement to that effect between himself and the members of the firm as newly constituted and the creditors, and this agreement may be either express or inferred as a fact from the course of dealing between the creditors and the firm as newly constituted." Could help me with regard to this request? I did have an agreement with the buyer of the business that he would take over all responsibilities including any debts. Also business contacts including the bank were also informed of the change of ownership. Just looking around for info whilst waiting for the next letter from the DCA.

Comment

Re: chain mine

Originally posted by qrst360
          chain mine or wow gold not …Mutually manlike ……"Move nhl jerseys on blade to demand to win the 2nd, the wholesale nhl jerseys libber solon righteous raises progression and saw cheap wow gold his one eye.But see inactivity on .
          Are you Chinese?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X