• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Self employed contractor - owner trying to claw back training costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self employed contractor - owner trying to claw back training costs

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could provide me with some assistance. I am a self employed driving instructor. I "sub-contract" i.e. work under the umbrella of an established business as an instructor for them. Originally when I joined the business (also trading as a sole trader for reference) the owner trained me up for no cost and I sub contracted for them afterwards training students, which I have been doing for just under a year now. There have never been any contracts signed or any agreements whatsoever. There was never any mention of money changing hands unless I wanted an intensive training package which I opted not to bother for, instead training over a period of four months. I am now fully qualified in my own right.

Unfortunately myself and the company owner have had a breakdown in our working relationship and he is seeking to recover training costs from me if I leave. Where do I stand on this? I have never signed or agreed to anything of that nature, in terms of a genuine pre estimate of loss I simply observed him carrying out lessons and progressively took parts of them until he deemed me competent, he spent a probably about 10 hours with me one on one. There has also not been a figure mentioned, just "you would have to pay for your training". I hope someone can help me.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Tagging Ula for you, but my opinion ( for what it's worth) is he's trying it on to be awkward.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

My view is that if there was a requirement for you to repay training costs then an agreement should have been put in place at the time, detailing what the specific training costs to be repaid would be, the value and over what time they should be repaid. Since there is nothing in place then I would suggest he has no basis on which to pursue you for repayment.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X