• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Could my agreement be void?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my agreement be void?

I agreed to an agreement 2 years ago with a supplier of cosmetics over the last 6 months each time I place an order for my customer the items are out of stock without a due back in date. My customers are now loosing faith in my business causing me a loss, I have now found a competent supplier which each time I have inquired the Items were available. My previous supplier is now threatening to sue me for breach of agreement and tells me I cannot sell a competitors goods for 6 months as in the agreement.
    Due to the fact they cannot supply my demand is my agreement void? I am a self employed sole trader.
    Tags: None

Check the terms of your agreement, what does it say about failing to supply?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you but there is nothing in there on failing to supply

Comment

So what does it say then about supplying? You are probably better off uploading the contract terms with your personal info redacted as it'll be easier than asking question after question
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks There is a little in D3 we do know they have the stock as the stores are full and it is available on line but remove it from ourselves pushing us to pay full price without commissions, I have uploaded the agreement the first part is signed with an email not a signature page 2 is the agreement. TheBodyShopAtHomeConsultanAgreement.pdf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jetextreme; 8th June 2018, 21:41:PM.

Comment

You might have to forgive me for how it all works but lets start from your original post. Under Section C:

1. Clause 15 says that you cannot entice any other consultant away for a period of 3 months following termination of the agreement or if you are a manger, then it is 6 months.

2. Clause 16 also says that you cannot sell products which compete with The Body Shop's products whilst the agreement remains active.

Section E, clause 2 says that you can terminate the agreement at any time by giving 14 days notice in writing.

So two questions: (1) Are you selling products from a competitor right now? (2) Have you terminated the agreement prior to selling those new supplier products or does the agreement still remain active?

Maybe my eyes are deceiving but I can't see anywhere that it says you cannot sell products for another competitor for 6 months post termination, it just says you can't sell products whilst the agreement is active. Have they pointed out under what clause they are referring to that says you cannot work for a competitor for 6 months?
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Yes I am now selling products from a competitor, the agreement was terminated by themselves prior so the agreement is not active, it goes way further in depth as to why, what and how it all started. There are many consultants leaving due to the same supply issue some to the same supplier as myself and some to others, the last email tonight from them states clause 15 because I advertise products on social media sites. I was just looking to see if all of the agreement was enforceable so it could void all of it.

Comment

Well it depends on how you are advertising it. If your advertisement is clearly aimed at consumers or other buyers then clause 15 is of no relevance. If, however, you advertising the products is in any way aimed at enticing consultants to come over to the new supplier then yes that would be a breach of clause 15, assuming you are within the 3/6 month period depending on your former job title.

Anyway, their clause allowing for termination without liability is probably an unfair contract term. Courts hate a blanket ban on limiting liability to the effect that you have no remedy at all and if you say that the products were out of stock with no due date, that would appear to be contrary to Section 29(3) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 in that if there is no delivery date stipulated, then goods must be delivered within a reasonable time - so you could argue back on that point if you wish to do so.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Rob thank you I appreciate your time to answer my query, it has made things a little clearer I will write an email with the points that have been highlighted and see where I go from there.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X