• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Standing against MBNA (Abbey)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing against MBNA (Abbey)

Hi there.
    This is an interesting one for me.... I have had some good advice already on this one, but this is the stage I am at.

Opened this account with Abbey National in 1996
    In 2001 the account changed hands to MBNA
    I have been struggling with this account since about 1999
    Last September, MBNA put me on a repayment plan.. £10 a week, no interest or charges... finally!
    Balance to date is £3700 (ish)

19.3.07 sent off SAR request, enclosing £10
    11.4.07 sent of CCA request
    statements arrived in dribs and drabs,
    30.4.07 sent prelim letter off, reserving the right to amend the total when the rest of the statements come through
    finally on the 14.5.07 the last of the statements came through, also an offer of £820, offer accepted as part settlement, still intend to claim for the rest
    15.5.07 Amended prelim, final amount
    29.5.07 LBA sent

I am claiming £2017 charges, using the spreadsheet, interest at 22.48% which comes to £1487.02, total claiming for (to date, as the daily interest is 2.18) £3504.02. So as you can see this will pretty much clear the debt with MBNA.

The interesting bit is, MBNA cannot provide me with a true executed copy of my CCA !!!!! I have had conflicting advice as to what to do with this golden nugget, but have decided to continue paying the debt, claim the charges back from them, and use their non compliance to (hopefully) get the defaults removed from my credit file. There is also a possibility that at a later date I could attempt to retrieve all interest paid to them,,,, gonna need a lot of help with that one though..... One step at a time !!!

Wow! That is an interesting claim standing!

It is difficult to know for sure how the absence of the CCA will affect the situation, but it certainly seems that you have them in a decent stranglehold.

Keep us updated with your progress.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Yes, tis interesting... but I am definately out of my depth with this one... I am about 5 days off the end of my LBA, so really could do with some experts helping me out here......

Comment

I think the order you have already worked out is correct,

keep on paying for now (just to keep peace during claim, don't want any counter-claims popping up!), reclaim the charges (are you asking for default removal as part of your prelim & LBA?) then get default removed as part of your claim.

then investigate whether any of the debt is enforceable (even though it will be cleared) if not investigate whether payments made to date are due to be refunded.

The CCA is a complex area and opinion differs as to whether it can be applied in such a way successfully, but your approach seems sensible and logical.
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Update...........

07th June, 2007

Dear Mrs Standingupformyself
          I refer to your recent complaint regarding default charges.

We reiterate that we have always set out precisely what our charges are in our agreements with you, as they are an integral part of the terms and conditions under which we are prepared to provide credit facilities. Our view is therefore that the charges that you agreed to are valid, fair and enforceable. Prior to July 2006, term 3b of your credit agreement with us clearly stated that you must pay £25 each time your payment had not reached your account within one day of your payment due date, or when you exceeded your credit limit, or a cheque was returned unpaid.

However, as we woud like to resolve this matter, we have arranged a further goodwill payment of £975, to be credited to your account. This in addition to the previous goodwill payment of £820 and on the basis that this is in full and final settlement of your complaint. You will appreciate that this does not mean that we agree with your complaint.

blah blah, if we do not hear from you within eight weeks of this letter we will assume that the matter is closed.

I am waiting for my statement to come through, as yet I do not know whether they have paid the first £820 into my account, so it will be interesting to see whether they pay the 2nd payment in. I intend to reject it as a full settlement, but if they choose to leave it in there will accept it as a part settlement.

Has anyone else had experience of them offering a 2nd goodwill gesture? The total charges I am claiming come to £2017, they have now offered me a total of £1795..... If I wasn't claiming CI then I would be inclined to accept, however the interest at 22.49% adds up to £3521.42, and this would clear the debt with them..... I must keep going,

I wonder if I am at a point where I could negotiate with them for the whole lot?

The letter was signed by Rachel Claridge........ Should I write/email her? or does anyone have a different contact that could be useful?

LBA's 14 days runs out today, however I am going on holiday in just over a fortnight, and really don't want to fork out court fees on this until I get back...

All advice gratefully received.

xxxxxx

Comment

Did you ask for a full SAR? - If you explicitly say in your SAR that they should send you "copies of any original executed agreement you allege you have with me" - then they MUST send you a copy of the original - none of this hanky panky leaving signatures out etc. If they don't send it, then they are in breach of the DPA and you can complain to the ICO. The ICO have far more powers than TS. (who often have no idea what is or isn't an executed agrement)

All the time you carry on paying you are acknowledging a debt to them.

If you didn't ask for a full SAR it may be worth writing to them saying you did not get all the required details in their response to you - or, and this is just in your particular circumstance - you could send another SAR (but asking for everything - copies of e-mails, transcripts of phone calls, copies of "alleged" contracts etc) - and that would buy you some time while you go on your hols.
            If you also tell them that until such time you receive your full SAR the debt is formally "in dispute" then that clears you whilst you are away.

Comment

Thanks Boxerdog,
              However I beleive that acknowledging the fact that they have not complied with my CCA at this point, makes things difficult to claim the charges I am persuing........ I do accept that I could walk away from this debt, however, it would not walk away from me would it? I presume that it would still sit in my credit file as a default for a further 6 years????

I wish to claim charges back, which will wipe the debt, I am advised to do this in ignorance of the CCA non compliance.... basically letting MBNA think they have convinced me that the agreement is enforceable... then AFTERWARDS, start proceedings to reclaim back all interest paid to them, meaning I clear the debt, wipe out defaults and then also get the interest back from them.

Comment

yes, see what you are saying, claim back and then dispute any agreement existed.

I think whether to throw the court papers in (as is always tempting as soon as the LBA runs out) is your call - I can see you don't want to fork out before your hols - but will you able to afford it when you get back??!!

Comment

THINGS HAVE HAPPENED!!!!!
                  I have just taken a phone call from MBNA is response to the email I wrote to them on the 16th June...... They are settling the full amount that I have asked for, with contractural interest at 24.9% up to the date of the above email....... Amount to be credited to my account.......... Letter of confirmation to come to me in the post.

Need to think about phase 2 now...... Thank you everyone for all your support,

I will update again when my next statement comes and when the letter arrives.

Meanwhile
                  WOOOOOHOOOOO YAAAAAAAAAAAAY !

Comment

Wow STANDINGUP............................ WELL DONE WITH BELLS ON. YOU REALLY SOCKED IT TO EM HUN. IM SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU, I REALLY AM.

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE WEEK FOR US BEAGLES............... BEEN A GOOD ONE ME THINKS.......... LOL LOL LOL XXX

I WANNA PICK YA BRAIN, IM CURRENTLY UP AGAINST ABBEY MBNA VISA FOR HUBBY, AND FILING AT COURT ON 1ST JULY IF THEY HAVENT OFFERED ME FULL CHARGES BACK AT LEAST. IVE GONE FOR CONTRACTUAL. CAN I ASK WHAT YOU SAID TO THEM TO MAKE THEM COUGH UP BEFORE COURT ???

FENDY XXXXXXXXXX

BL**DY WELL DONE HUN BY THE WAY........... WELL PLAYED OUT. XXXXXXXXXXXX
                    Natwest Round 1 - Won £16,080 after 6 month battle :roll:
                    Abbey Round 1 - Won £5,580 after 5 month battle :okay:
                    Capital 1 Credit Card - Won £1230 in 2 months
                    Capital 1 Cred Card for Hubby - Won £1560 in 2 months :kiss:
                    Abbey MBNA Credit Card - Won £2210 in 3 months
                    Halifax Credit Card - Won £1680 in 2 months

THE WAY FORWARD ON THESE CLAIMS, IS TO STAY POSITIVE, FOCUSED AND PATIENT, AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS BELIEVE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT, BECAUSE IT TRULY IS. WHY CHOOSE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE WHEN THERES NOTHING TO LEARN FROM THAT. THINK OF CLAIMING AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

Now Gunning for
                    Natwest round 2
                    Abbey Round 2
                    Yorkshire Bank round 1
                    A further £6000 to come back from above 3 when I win.:roll:

Comment

I think the reason that they coughed up before court is because they couldnt produce my CCA, I knew it was unenforceable, so did they, but I did not play on it and continued to pay my monthly payments whilst claiming back charges.
                      Have you requested true copy of CCA? If not, then go for it.........

Comment

I am going to do that but i have to get it on here to let em see it!

Comment

Okies standingup thats my next move............... ask for CCA. Doing that tomorrow by recorded delivery. Oh, and do you perchance happen to have an e mail addy for them.................. might save time, e mail than post............. post going at snails pace at the mo. Gawd forbid ........... Thanks hun.

Fendy xxxxx
                          Natwest Round 1 - Won £16,080 after 6 month battle :roll:
                          Abbey Round 1 - Won £5,580 after 5 month battle :okay:
                          Capital 1 Credit Card - Won £1230 in 2 months
                          Capital 1 Cred Card for Hubby - Won £1560 in 2 months :kiss:
                          Abbey MBNA Credit Card - Won £2210 in 3 months
                          Halifax Credit Card - Won £1680 in 2 months

THE WAY FORWARD ON THESE CLAIMS, IS TO STAY POSITIVE, FOCUSED AND PATIENT, AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS BELIEVE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT, BECAUSE IT TRULY IS. WHY CHOOSE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE WHEN THERES NOTHING TO LEARN FROM THAT. THINK OF CLAIMING AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

Now Gunning for
                          Natwest round 2
                          Abbey Round 2
                          Yorkshire Bank round 1
                          A further £6000 to come back from above 3 when I win.:roll:

Comment

Email address I used was tanya.crompton@mbna.com she is not the lady that deals with CCA's but she was very pleasant and helpful

Comment

and the email I sent the other day was to colin.pugh@mbna.com but it wasnt him that phoned me yesterday, it was a lady called Yvonne

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X