• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Under 18 and charges- is it legal?

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under 18 and charges- is it legal?

The bank has charged me and I was not 18 years old is it legal?

The answer is no. Under the Credit Consumer Act you are not allowed an overdraft if you are under 18 so if the charge has taken into minus figures, the bank has broken the law. There is something to this effect under the Banking Code as well.

There is a law Contract Law & Minors: Solicitors law firm in London UK discuss minors
    this is the Minors' Contract Act (1987)

Another issue is the obtaining of a Switch/Maestro card under the age of 18, this will NOT be given because it has a cheque guarantee limit and that would be giving credit to a minor and therefore part of the Credit Consumer Act 1974
    Last edited by Nattie; 8th January 2008, 21:43:PM.

Re: Under 18 and charges- is it legal?

Continually and continually, ONE bank is coming up time and time and time again as failing in their duty towards their more vulnerable younger customers. Continually and continually I have to advise posters to go to Customer Relations Unit. Which bank is it, you may ask? It's the bank I work for: NATWEST.
    This is not Treating Customers Fairly but sheer ignorance by branch staff and supported by regional risk teams or refunds teams as I call it. They are following normal BAU(Business As Usual) processes. However, this is about charges made to an account, effectively covered under the CCA act because the charge takes the customer into an unagreed/informal overdraft prior to attaining 18 years of age.
    NATWEST, there is another way.
    Terms and conditions state "Standing Orders and Direct Debits are NOT PERMITTED on an Adapt account." Why are younger customers then being PERMITTED to set them up when there are systems in place to prevent them being set up?
    Why are branch staff so poorly trained in dealing with more vulnerable younger customers? NATWEST , the bank I cannot say is treating younger customers fairly. I think I have identified a training need

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X